Subject: [Leica] my flag project is online/ Karen Schreiber
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sun Sep 4 11:28:05 2005

I like the pictures. They are a nice variety on a theme. It's also a
very interesting theme.

I think the Katrina commentary cheapens it though, just as an element
of our culture has cheapened the meaning and value of the flag.

The photos, to me, point out the shortsightedness of the commentary.
The flag as a symbol is a very personal thing, meaning very different
things to different people.

Expecting everyone else to wave the flag when we think it appropriate
is an exercise in frustration begging demagoguery. It's rather like
that element of our culture that insists on shouting the name of
Jesus every time a cloud burps.

Your photos point toward the individual power of a symbol, a power
not dictated by any authority.

Keep up the good work.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/Passing-Fancies