Subject: [Leica] I'm baaaaack
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sat Sep 3 21:00:14 2005

On 3 Sep 2005 at 22:39, Don Dory wrote:

> You will love Houston, the traffic is intense but the people are
> wonderful, warm, helpful souls.  I believe the best camera store is
> still Houston Camera Exchange down near Bel Air Blvd near West
> University or about four miles west of Rice University.

The situation's changed remarkably in the last few years, none of it
for the better.

The store you're remembering fondly was SouthSide Camera; they've
been gone since sometime in the early 90's, and a loss it was.  Good
folks.  Southwestern Camera, for many years the "Big Store" in town,
did too well, overexpanded, imploded (rumors say their financial
control wasn't what it coulda/shoulda been), and is no more.

Houston Camera Exchange is, and has been for several years, on
Richmond just east of Fountain View... they've probably got the best
stock of Leica in town, and that's not saying much.  They're dealers,
I believe, but don't stock much of anything.  The Leica guys,
primarily, are Richard and "Hitch" but several of the other guys know
a bit.  Not a lot but they're not totally at sea.

The best camera store in town,  IMO and for some value of "best," is
Camera CoOp on North Durham between Memorial and Washington... very
little Leica, but dealers in C, N, M, and some third party lenses,
plus many flavors of ditcam.  Good used selection and a pretty solid
darkroom department.  Also scrupulously honest, reasonably
intelligent and qualified staff, and friendly people.  Erwin's the
local Leicaphile, Carol's the manager, good folks all.

There's also Camera Center on West Gray, but they tend to be rather
pricier than the other places.   There is, or was, another store, I
think "Pro Photo Supply" or some such,  up north of CoOp -- if
they're still there.  I was in once a few years ago, didn't see
anything I needed or any prices I liked much, haven't gone back.

{I handle serious stuff usually through CoOp or the usual mailorder
suspects.  I'm not on anybody's payroll.  I consider the CoOp folks
something approximating professional friends.}

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] I'm baaaaack)