Subject: [Leica] Leica MDigital
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Sep 3 14:00:24 2005

Ted:  "Chimping" is indeed a waste of time in many cases.  But there is one
big difference between your "Women in Medicine" shoots and digital
shooting.  Digital has a more limited dynamic range than negative film.  If
you shoot at 400, you've got the speed of Tri-X, but the latitude of Velvia.

In those operating rooms, if you blew an important highlight, you could
just burn it in.  The overexposed Tri-X retained enough information to get
a little texture.  Not so with digital.  When you hit the maximum value of
bright, that's it.  The ceiling.  Not only that, but one or two color
channels may blow while another  doesn't, which leads to funny color shifts
and ugly "splats" at the edge of highlights.

So you have to be careful not to blow highlights at all costs.  But, if you
go too far in the other direction, you end up with muddy, noisy shadows,
and these are much uglier than their equivalent on film.  Sometimes you
have to end up with the latter, because it's the only way to get the scene
on film.

Shooting RAW gives you more latitude, and there are tricks that help, but
the basic physics of the sensor still applies.

Some digital cameras meter more cautiously than others.  My Olympus E-1 is
fairly conservative, so I can relax a bit more than a Nikon owner.  My
friend's Nikon DSLRs tend to blow highlights often unless you really think
about compensation.  His Epson RD-1 handles highlights better than any
other digital camera I've tried.  From what I've seen of other's pictures,
the Canons are somewhere in between.

Under contrasty conditions especially, having a "hysterectomy screen"  :-)
or one that makes the overexposed portions go blinkety-blink is a
godsend.  The trick is to use it once or twice and then not worry about it
until conditions change again.

I must say that when I shoot digital for a week or two and then go back to
my M6, I feel much more relaxed about shooting. I can rely on a lifetime of
instincts, and the film's latitude gives me some wiggle room.  Then the
bill from the lab comes, or I'm faced with scanning lots of frames, and I
want to shoot digital again.  :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from zoeica1 at yahoo.com (Chris Williams) ([Leica] I can see my roof at least)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Leica MDigital)