Subject: [Leica] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 31 01:10:44 2005

On 8/30/05 7:50 PM, "Rick Dykstra" <rdcb37@dodo.com.au> typed:

> Mark (et al), go look at the link I posted a little while back.  Here.
>
>> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/267995/21
>
> The DMR is being highly praised on this Canon list.
>
> Rick.

Nice someone is raising some stink on the Canon list I say them them rot in
their own private little Hells! :)

What I'm supposed to be looking at and what I am looking at on theses things
took me awhile to figure out. Big list of lenses still not sure how that
fits in.

I think we're supposed to be comparing grain patterns on fields of grey with
white letters which gives us a clue as to what it is.

Such a thing strikes me as being a comparative test of digital sharpening
anomalies. I see this thing often. In the digital realm such comparisons
often have this problem.

One camera  maybe gives us relatively unsharpened images. The other needs
less sharpening. We have to subjectively match them up before we start
comparing stuff. Like glass. Or general image quality. We also have to match
color saturation.
If we had a few flowers in the test with some thistles and shreds of
crumpled newspaper we would have something to go on. The head of some
depraved mannequin.
A reality sample. Then a grey card in there we then zoom in on and check out
the "grain" pattern.
But with no context I'm not sure what we have.
No ground - no figure. Or "go figure".

Nice of them to take this big hunky quirky here-today-gone-tomorrow priced
high-as-the-sky Leica thing and compare that against the omnipresent* Canon
bang for the buck plastique Tupperware.

*
om?ni?pres?ent
1.    continuously and simultaneously present throughout the whole of
creation
2.    present or seemingly present all the time or everywhere
3. Canon Cameras.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon