Subject: [Leica] dirt and labs
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 28 18:56:59 2005

Neil and all,
The random scratches actually sound like one of the exit rollers
either from the stabilizer or from the dryer going south.

In the chemical tanks there is enough friction(drag of the film behind
the leader card) that the film goes pretty straight and any scratches
are fairly straight.  However, if the pickup roller at the front of
the dryer has a bad gear/tooth then the film will back up behind the
leader card and scratches will occur on the base side of the film.  If
the exit roller to the dryer goes south then film can back up in the
dryer with damage anywhere on the film: once the leader card is out
the film is pushed out with one or more sets of pinch rollers.
Depending on the rollers all kinds of interesting things can happen to
film.

Abrasion marks and debris on the film are a classic case of very poor
film handling after the film is out of the chemistry: horizontal
abrasions are from pushing the film into the printer or the film
cutter.  Debris is a dirty lab and filthy habits.

0.02

Don
don.dory@gmail.com