Subject: [Leica] Leica M Lenses adapted to SLRs
From: leicanikon at earthlink.net (Stephen Gandy)
Date: Sun Aug 28 09:50:45 2005

the Visoflex adapter replaces the Visoflex reflex housing

you still need whatever focusing helical and adapter(s) that are
required to mount that same Visoflex lens or Visoflex lens head to the
Visoflex housing

Adapters are available to mount to Leica R, Nikon SLR and Canon bodies
http://www.cameraquest.com/frames/4saleViso.htm

Adapters could be made for virtually any 35mm format SLR, the problem is
lack of demand for other mounts.
If anyone wants to buy 5,000 adapters so you can use your Viso lenses on
that favorite Petri, Miranda, or Zunow SLR,  no problem.

It is theoretically possible to make an adapter to use normal M lenses
on SLRs.

however the big problem with the M to SLR adapter is the need to have
extremely well corrected glass, much like a Nikon or Leica
teleconverter, in order to focus the lenses at infinity.   Without the
glass elements, M lenses are good only for extreme closeups since M
bodies are much thinner than SLRs.   Less than 1st class optics in the
adapter would degrade the image, defeating  the purpose of the adapter.

so far no manufacture has wanted to tackle that problem.  With the very
high price of such a highly corrected adapter, sales vs profit makes
such a project look very iffy.  I've tried several times to talk
Cosina's Mr. Kobayashi into producing an M to SLR adapter, but even the
photo gadget loving Mr. K does not believe cost vs sales will allow it
to be a profitable product.

Stephen Gandy