Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 33: The fashion world comes to Almere
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun Aug 28 02:13:15 2005

Week 33 was a nice week for me: my sister from Poland was visiting, so I
only worked 2 days, and spent the rest of the time showing her around
the Netherlands. At the same time, some interesting stuff happened at
home, so the mix of images reflects it.

My dog likes food, as does everyone else in this family. And I always
have my camera at hand. My sister had cooked, the weather was nice so we
ate in the garden, and the dog was checking things out from her
customary position under the table:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33.jpg

This is what piqued her interest, a typical Polish dish, pierogi, with
the requisite stuff to wash it down:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt1.jpg

Then a couple of images from our trips around the country. In the small
lovely town of Gorinchem I spotted this child waiting for his mother
outside a shop, and inspired by Don's recent "waiting" series, snapped this:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt2.jpg

This one is a street conversation in Amsterdam, near the red light district:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt3.jpg

Thursday was one of the two days I did work. When I came home, I found a
full-fledged photo shoot taking place in my garden (or, more precisely
in and around our pool). Our neighbor Felix was shooting an assignment
for GQ involving some obscenely expensive male underwear, and had
decided on a watery theme--hence the use of our pool. Here is Felix in
action on our back porch:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt4.jpg

The basic setup was that the models (there were two guys) would pose in
the pool:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt5.jpg
and then my wife and my son would pour water on the model from each side
because Felix wanted some kind of waterfall effect:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt6.jpg
As is obvious from the above image, it is not easy for the model to keep
his eyes open and otherwise hold the pose in those circumstances, so the
shot would be re-taken, and then again and again and...This was a
reasonably nice summer day, and the water in our pool is heated to 24-26
C, but we are after all talking Holland here, so after a while the model
would be visibly cold:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_33alt7.jpg
I certainly got an appreciation of how hard these guys and gals actually
work during a shoot.

For those interested in seeing more, I have put up a separate gallery of
that here:
http://www.fotocycle.dk/indexmodel.html

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html
and comments and critique are as always gratefully accepted.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands