Subject: [Leica] Composition - The Golden Section?
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sat Aug 27 15:22:34 2005

On 28/08/2005, at 2:18, Steve Ries wrote:

> I am trying to improve my photograph's compositions and I need some
> input
> regarding the "Golden Section" or "Golden Ratio". To date I have
> just been
> putting the main subject slightly off center either horizontally or
> vertically but I would like to see something better.
>
> Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated.

This is *only* a matter of visual education in both sides, the public
and the maker.

There is no golden rule and all about the golden section is a
overgrown myth developed between the XVIII - XIX centuries based on
the writings of a mathematic and later works by Da Vinci. Of course
that's works well for the architecture and things related to
architecture as painting was once. Indeed it can do it for
photography but only because we learned to look in that way, not
because there is a formula.

Thirds rule is about the same, but its hard to place anything off
that rule in 35mm without looking severly unbalanced.
You can read further in history of art  or painting techniques, but
imho, the most effective way to improve is looking someone else works.

hope it helps.