Subject: [Leica] leica branded lenses
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Aug 26 11:08:06 2005

Well, I would again have a different spin on this...

If you want to use your old Canon lenses on your new Canon body, you may be
SOL.  Seems like that never stopped the mainstream flow to Canon.

Old Nikon lenses on to new Nikon bodies will work, but the guys that want to
do this are doing it so they do not have to replace their old lenses with
same brand new lenses at new and higher prices.  Alternatively, the same
argument about cheap used Nikon lenses.  They are getting the same lenses
but with new price tags.  No pictorial differences.

If you want to use your Leica glass on your Nikon or Nikon or Canon bodies,
you want something of the Leica "look" on your current hot Canon or Nikon
body. ( It may be a digital body.) This is the place to succeed, where there
is something the user is trying to get that he can not get from N or C.  You
currently use an adapter.  It is  cheap but inconvenient  ( stop done
metering ( maybe, I don't know, but it is an issue to contend with) , manual
diaphragm, etc....)  Making that inconvenience go away is the marketing
plus.

I am in favor of the cross branding.

I see no issue concerning full frame or other sized frames....It does not
play in my thinking in the cross branding argument.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

> Doug, no arguments as to your analysis, but I find your conclusions
> different from mine....
>
> Users want the most new, the most number of pixels, faster motor drive,
etc.
> All short term needs ( wants?) and do not look at long term issues like
> future compatibility.  the lenses, in my opinion, would sell really well.

Frank, another want that is heard often is "full frame", which really means
full use of existing lenses, and on the Nikon side, there's a lot of wanting
AIS lenses to work fully on the less-than-pro bodies.  This tells me
compatability is a significant concern.

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] leica branded lenses)