Subject: [Leica] minolta does in fact remember the CLE
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu Aug 25 15:28:36 2005

i got my son a Minolta Dimage Xt for his 8th birthday (we'll see
how long it survives) and i was reading the instruction book.
i was startled to see what seemed an incongruously-placed photograph of
a Minolta CLE with 40mm M-rokkor.  this happened to be my first
M mount camera.  the instruction book says:

  When the shutter is released, a shutter sound effect will
  give a positive confirmation of the operation.  The
  sound effect can be turn (sic) off in the custom 1 section
  of the setup menu (p. 74(,  Three shutter effects are
  available; signal 1 is mechanical, signal 2 is electrical,
  and custom for a personalized effect.  The mechanical
  shutter sound was taken from the legendary Minolta CLE,
  a compact rangefinder that represents the pinnacle of the
  development of the Leitz-Minolta CL.

if we overlook the detail that the CLE's shutter was in
fact electronic, it's sort of a nice tribute to pay to
the past, and a reassuring reminder that human beings
actually write some of these instruction books.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey