Subject: [Leica] Leica future and diehard fans
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Aug 25 09:38:13 2005

The issue to me, George, isn't backs or no backs - the idea of digital backs
for film cameras is a terrific one, and will undoubtedly keep several niche
manufacturers afloat and contribute to the variety of photography; I'm still
convinced that the answer to the digital M conundrum might well be a digital
back - (I know - it's impossible to produce one, just as many said it was
impossible to produce a digital rangefinder, until Cosina/Epson did it.;-))

My question is what can keep Leica afloat longer term, and I don't think the
answer is a digital back that maybe, someday, will ship 30 a month to the
U.S. What people love most about Leica is the glass, as demonstrated by the
veritable legions of Luggers mounting Leica class on Canon digital bodies.
And what might keep Leica afloat is making the glass more widely available.

As to my being "anti-Leica," that one is as old and tired as my criticism of
the company.;-) I am not anti-Leica, I am simply not a fanboy. I used the
cameras for most of my adult life; and I still own two M bodies and four
lenses, three of them the latest ASP glass and have thus far resisted the
impulse to sell them because I do still love them, even though I rarely use
them. But unlike many on this list, I feel no love or loyalty toward the
corporation, which I think has proven itself utterly inept when it comes to
finding ways to ensure its long-term survival.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica future and diehard fans)