Subject: [Leica] Old Rabbi Resting
From: neilsimages at pipeline.com (Neil Schneider)
Date: Thu Aug 25 05:44:27 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:20 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Neil,
>
> What is special about this picture? It is an old Hassidic man, plenty
> of those in New York. The image is not sharp, there is no eye contact,
> his face is partly obscured by the fence, and the composition is not
> particularly interesting. It reminds me of a picture of an exotic
> animal in a zoo.
>
> I realize that you probably found him interesting because of the way
> he looks, but this kind of picture does not convey anything about him
> as a person, nor about his environment.
>
> Sorry to be so harsh--but remember that this is a critique of a photo,
> not a criticism of you as a person.
>
> Nathan
>
> Neil Schneider wrote:

Hi Nathan,
I do not take your critique as personal at all, and as I said, I
welcome all commentary. Perhaps I should of included
a bit more info with the picture, but I prefer the viewer to interpret
what they see, rather than me telling them first.

As a street photographer I try to document the everyday life around me
as I see it, and as others would if they
were looking where I was.
The gentleman in the picture is a Hassidic, and a Rabbi, who has spent
his life in Talmudic study. This was told
to me by another area resident who was familiar with the Rabbi, also
that he found it necessary to live behind a fence
to protect him from neighborhood vandals. A sad commentary of our
society, but none the less for making this
an interesting shot. The environment that he lives in is very telling
with the self enclosure he's chosen for himself
and his family. If you were to walk this same neighborhood in
Williamsburgh, Brooklyn, you will see bars on windows,
and other fenced in yards. Perhaps not the way we live, but as others
find it necessary.

Again I thank you for your commentary, and encourage others to express
their feelings as they will.

Neil

"Predicting the future is mostly a matter of managing not to blink as
you witness the present" -- William Gibson

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Old Rabbi Resting)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Old Rabbi Resting)