Subject: [Leica] Canon Introduces 2 new digital SLR's
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Aug 24 13:38:20 2005

On 8/24/05 11:48 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> Hi Mark,
> I am a bit of a camera nerd and when I see the photographers they are
> quite close so I can see the camera and they rarely have a cream lens
> on. I like to spot whether they are using film or digital and whether
> they have gone for the more pixel or fast frame rate route. Very few
> are using film, most shoot jpeg rather than raw, I've asked.
> I shoot raw and have 1400 files to check out after my holiday in
> Iceland. I shot 12 rolls of 120 film also. It would have been more if
> my wife had been more patient.....
> This is my first holiday without a Leica that I can remember. Now I
> need a non working weekend to get on with it!
>
> BTW in the UK I don't remember Canon having a particular sales push
> at pros, but it is such a long time ago. The French magazines tend to
> be more pro Nikon than the English ones so one sees more Nikons in
> France than here.
> Frank

I thought I'd heard that Raw was making inroads into the sports
photographers cache. It doesn't slow stuff down on any end much anymore and
gives you a break on density, and white point and really on from there. You
can get away with really being a total idiot in your shooting, drunk. Whole
folders can be processed and saved to another format, jpeg, but the bloopers
can be fixed first. And the Lexar's are getting cheaper by the dozen 2 gig
seems to be the price point norm now you can fit plenty of larger files on a
card that big. I've got two one gigers.

I think jpeg shooting is despicable beyond all recognition.
I take old friends right out of my phonebook when I find out they're
shooting jpegs.
I've been shooting 645 Xp2 on my Hasselblad today.
EV 16 and be there! (EV 13 under the trees and bushes)
The land of EV.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon