Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 32: Driving around
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Aug 22 14:21:04 2005

I am behind in posting for a couple of good reasons: my sister from
Poland was visiting me for a couple of weeks, so I did not have that
much time to edit; and I have taken a lot of pictures during that
period, so the editing has taken longer than usual. In any event, here
is week 32. We were driving around the northern part of the country to
show my sister something else than Amsterdam.

The main is a view from the Afsluitdijk, the outermost dike in the North
Sea. It is about 30 km long, and quite tall. It will come in handy when
the sea level rises in the next few decades.
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32.jpg

As the clouds in the preceding shot indicate, it was a wet day, as has
been the case during most of the alleged summer this year. But that does
not stop me from taking pictures:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt1.jpg

Here is a nice coastal road near the town of Stavoren in southern Friesland:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt2.jpg

A couple of days later the weather was nicer and we went to Volendam, a
touristy but nice small town north of Amsterdam. I photographed the
local wildlife, fantasizing that I was Doug Herr:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt3.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt4.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt5.jpg

People in Friesland seem friendlier than elsewhere in Holland. Perhaps
it is just the slower pace of life in small towns. I snapped a shot of
this man riding his bicycle with a small dog. He noticed, and what did
he do? He came over to me, posed for this picture and we had a brief chat.
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt6.jpg

In the same town we happened upon an antique car/bike meet, and I was
thrilled to see this 50cc Z?ndapp, which was my absolute dream machine
when I was a teenager in Denmark. A brief conversation with the owner
confirmed that it was indeed the one I craved--it was from 1977:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_32alt7.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html
and comments and critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands