Subject: [Leica] Very OT: native Spanish speaker?
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Wed Aug 17 11:26:25 2005

On 17/08/2005, at 19:54, Brian Reid wrote:

> I've come up with an idea, and my question for a native speaker of
> Spanish is whether or not my idea is stupid.
>
> The Spanish term for "mitre box" is "la caja de ingletes".
> The Spanish term for a bishop's mitre is "el inglete".
>
> If I were to translate that title as "la casa de
> ingletes" (changing caja to casa), would a native speaker of
> Spanish recognize this as a pun, or would it just seem illiterate?

hi there.

If you mean mitre box as the place from where the bishop talks to the
crowd or the crowd listening the speech it will be "el p?lpito"; if
you are thinking in the carpenter tools, then "la caja de ingletes"
is just right but a bit strange as we dont use box in the same sense.

Perhaps taking a look to the original text we can work out a better
translation.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/