Subject: [Leica] WAS: mother... NOW: DOING A BOOK!
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun Aug 14 17:37:07 2005

On Aug 14, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
> [...]

I wish that publishers and others agreed with you... but at the
moment just not so...

we gave it a shot with one good one.... very optimistic but a no go,
right now... Ted Grant has been a great help and mentor, his ideas
about this are below...

> [...]
>
> If one has tonnes of money and can afford to do their own book, as
> some wealthy photographers have done, it's merely a glorified
> portfolio and not what Steve and his work is about.  But how many
> of you on the list have the kind of money and distribution
> connections to do so? Not likely too many.
>
> No denying Steve's pictures of kids in hospital aren't heart
> warming and certainly emotional as they're the best I've ever seen.
> He is amazing shooting in the hospital environment day in and day
> out. And what he produces is quite phenomenal under the
> circumstances with children. When he has some connection in their
> care.
>
> But before a publisher gets wet knickers with excitement to publish
> they want to see, in this case, probably hundreds of photographs
> and everyone a heart moving image!
>
> But not every child picture works as much as many of you viewers
> get excited about and say so. The most important thing for the book
> is... "they cannot illustrate a child in pain or showing any kind
> of visual hurting because that's a turn off for most readers or
> viewers when it comes to kids."
>
> One "negative emotion picture" when someone is looking through the
> book before purchase and it can almost assure a non sale! :-(
>
> Now without knowing Steve and his work and you're looking at a book
> in the store would you purchase a book about sick kids in a
> hospital?  Careful now as it's not an easy question to answer when
> you know him and his work on the screen  nearly every week.
>
> Not only that, look at the picture books for sale and ask yourself
> why you don't walk out with an arm full because some are
> sensational. How about the competition book to book? And think
> about the "would you buy a book about sick kids in hospital" no
> matter how good it was? And of course you don't know the name Steve
> Barbour from a hole in the ground as the book in your hands and
> it's Kids in Hospital subject. It's a tough call both for the
> publisher and book sellers when it's kids in hospital.
>
> We know they're smashing good photographs, but is it a topic the
> public would rush to buy? Given the lousy book buying at the moment.
>
> However, one of these days when he has enough "Oh my gosh what a
> great picture of that kid!" printed and your heart goes pitty pat
> with emotion I'm sure there'll be a book. Of course everyone of you
> will be sent a copy as soon as your cheque arrives for a signed
> copy! And he expects a sale to one and all. ;-)
>
> Hopefully this explains a little about  "the life of a photographer
> getting a book published!" Another aspect is... they don't happen
> over night because just in the shooting alone it can take 10 years
> amassing the very best material for success. And yes my publisher
> has seen a presentation but for the moment has said...
> unfortunately... "No." :-(
>
> I'm still hoping we'll turn him around with more material. Or we'll

and so....that sums it up for the moment....
thanks Ted,
I'm not ready to give up my day job yet....

Steve

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] WAS: mother... NOW: DOING A BOOK!)