Subject: [Leica] WAS: mother... NOW: DOING A BOOK!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Aug 14 16:03:31 2005

Gene said:
>>> Any publisher who would not jump at publishing your phots is crazy.  Hey
>>> Ted,
> how about your publisher?<<<<

Hi Guys & Gals,
This response is for all the folks who are onto Steve about doing a book! At
the moment he's amassing as much material as he can and one of these days
we'll be making a several hundred 11X14 prints to present to a publisher.

It isn't as easy as many of you think! Period!!!!

The book publishing industry is some what in the dump due to the internet,
video games and all those other electronic thingies people play with. ERGO!
People don't buy the number of books they once did. Yes it may look like new
books are being published daily, they are.... but would you buy most or any
of them?

Besides "photo books" are almost a non-seller to the everyday public, but
are predominantly purchased by other photographers. Unfortunately most
photographer's buy the books of long dead big name photographers whose work
has been brought to everyone's attention for the past 80 years or so. New
guys and gals? Don't hold yer breath unless it's about sex, politics and
Hollywood whores!

If one has tonnes of money and can afford to do their own book, as some
wealthy photographers have done, it's merely a glorified portfolio and not
what Steve and his work is about.  But how many of you on the list have the
kind of money and distribution connections to do so? Not likely too many.

No denying Steve's pictures of kids in hospital aren't heart warming and
certainly emotional as they're the best I've ever seen. He is amazing
shooting in the hospital environment day in and day out. And what he
produces is quite phenomenal under the circumstances with children. When he
has some connection in their care.

But before a publisher gets wet knickers with excitement to publish they
want to see, in this case, probably hundreds of photographs and everyone a
heart moving image!

But not every child picture works as much as many of you viewers get excited
about and say so. The most important thing for the book is... "they cannot
illustrate a child in pain or showing any kind of visual hurting because
that's a turn off for most readers or viewers when it comes to kids."

One "negative emotion picture" when someone is looking through the book
before purchase and it can almost assure a non sale! :-(

Now without knowing Steve and his work and you're looking at a book in the
store would you purchase a book about sick kids in a hospital?  Careful now
as it's not an easy question to answer when you know him and his work on the
screen  nearly every week.

Not only that, look at the picture books for sale and ask yourself why you
don't walk out with an arm full because some are sensational. How about the
competition book to book? And think about the "would you buy a book about
sick kids in hospital" no matter how good it was? And of course you don't
know the name Steve Barbour from a hole in the ground as the book in your
hands and it's Kids in Hospital subject. It's a tough call both for the
publisher and book sellers when it's kids in hospital.

We know they're smashing good photographs, but is it a topic the public
would rush to buy? Given the lousy book buying at the moment.

However, one of these days when he has enough "Oh my gosh what a great
picture of that kid!" printed and your heart goes pitty pat with emotion I'm
sure there'll be a book. Of course everyone of you will be sent a copy as
soon as your cheque arrives for a signed copy! And he expects a sale to one
and all. ;-)

Hopefully this explains a little about  "the life of a photographer getting
a book published!" Another aspect is... they don't happen over night because
just in the shooting alone it can take 10 years amassing the very best
material for success. And yes my publisher has seen a presentation but for
the moment has said... unfortunately... "No." :-(

I'm still hoping we'll turn him around with more material. Or we'll find
another.

ted

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] WAS: mother... NOW: DOING A BOOK!)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] WAS: mother... NOW: DOING A BOOK!)