Subject: [Leica] Adventures in Obsolescence
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Aug 2 19:07:54 2005

At 09:26 PM 8/2/05 -0400, Jim Shulman wrote:

>My fondness for Standard 8 movies continues, despite all sorts of bugaboos
>along the way: finding a working projector (thanks to the LUG!), finding a
>properly-working 8mm camera (it seems that virtually all mechanical movie
>cameras from the 50s and early 60s are now reaching their terminal
>windup--with one exception!), and of course sourcing film and processing
>(the film comes from J and C Photography, purveyors of Efke; the processing
>from Yale Film Labs on the west coast, so far as I know the only place that
>still processes, slits, and mounts 8mm film.)

My father's Kodak Eight from 1939 still functions flawlessly, as does the
projector and the Weston 715 meter he bought at the same time.  I have all
of the movies he shot including some from his military duty in Alaska in
1942 and 1943.  I also have the film editor he picked up in the later
1940's.  (He used that to cut out the shots of his first wife, and I regret
that as I have never seen a picture of the woman.)

Nothing fancy, but it works and works well.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505