Subject: [Leica] RE: LUG, Computer Help!!!
From: creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring)
Date: Thu Jul 28 17:58:54 2005

I have been building my own PCs for over 10 years. I use nothing but the
highest end motherboards and hard drives. All of these components come with
at least 3 year warranties.
Many of today's hard drives fail very very early. I have had drives fail in
a matter of days. Most of the drives for consumer use only come with 1 year
warranties.
I am afraid it is just like fine photographic equipment:
You get what you pay for (Hopefully).
I generally use ASUS or ABIT motherboards which have been very, very
reliable.
Dell uses the cheapest motherboards they can source from China.
I work in IT and I am totally paranoid about backups. Redundancy is the name
of the game:
ANY important database I work on is backed up at least 3 times a day and
archived to different servers and media (DVD and Tape).
I have been burned to many times in the past when I discovered one of my
files was not backed up by somebody else.

Take care,
Mike