Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIF ?
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Thu Jul 28 10:25:47 2005

Bill Smith writes:

> I've noticed that several of you use the subject camera. I need a
> companion to my Model P Canon. I've thought about a IIIG, but it's
> too damn expensive or a M 2/ 3, but all my lenses are LTM and I
> hate to fool w/ an adapter. I could go "Russian" (Fed 2, etc) but
> the quality issues scare me off.
>
> Do you find the IIIF user-friendly?
>
> What do you suggest? Is the red dial III superior to the black one?
>
> Also has anyone ever tried Nikon AI/ AI-s lenses w/ an adapter
> like Mr. Gandy sells on your IIIF? I've got a sweet 20/4  AI and
> beautiful AI-s 28/ 3.5 that might work.

Bill,

I own both a red and black dail IIIF. The BD has uses the earlier (Europeon)
shutter speeds and flash sync speed is different. I don't use a flash very
often with any camera so that is not a concern for me. (I have used LTM
cameras with a Braun Flash that I keep around just for this purpose.) The
IIIF, in any flavor, is a great camera who's lack of meter and bottom
size. Between Leica and VC modern LTM glass is available in addition to some
wonderful early lenses. Also, Tom Abrahamsson makes a Rapidwinder for the
LTM series.

The IIIF is even a more stealthy option for street shooting and is certainly
pocketable in a larger jacket pocket when combined with a small pancake or
collaspible lens. National Trust's, MTF's and French Tower guards be damned!
Built primarily for a 50mm lens it also works well with a 35mm lens using
the VF outside extent.

If you already have a number of LTM lenses purchasing and using a LTM camera
is a no brainer IMHO. The IIIF is a bargain compared to a IIIG or M3 with
adapter and as mentioned smaller in size.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer) ([Leica] Re: Fave Leica copy (was Leica IIIF ?))