Subject: [Leica] RD-1 - Make Lemonade
From: bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C)
Date: Thu Jul 28 06:24:46 2005

Sigh....how many people (even on a list such as this) think that it is
really important that digital images be made with their S and SM lenses?
Especially SM,  I'm sure there are many people who just can't wait to get
their pre-war (and I mean the big one) elmars onto a digital camera and
show just what that darn lens is capable of!

Different strokes for different folks....

-dan c.

 And when you say SM lenses, are you just referring to the recent SM lenses
that were made by Leica, or are you including all those lenses made from
the 1930s onwards?   At 08:14 AM 28-07-05 -0500, Ben Marks wrote:
>Sigh.  Would all Leica M and SM users making digital images without film
using their M and SM lenses raise their hands? Thank you.  Now, how many of
you are using a . . . wait, there is only _one_ current digital camera that
will take those lenses.

>I understand that the comment below is hyperbole intended to illustrate
the QC problems that ESPON has had with this camera.  And I did indeed
return the first one that I had.  But I have made many satisfying images
with its replacement.  If Leica had made and marketed a digital camera to
take advantage of their great glass, I'd be using it. They haven't; but I
am glad to have the tool I've got.

>If the QC problems spook you, don't buy one.  If you want to take
direct-to-digital images with your M- and SM-mount glass, jump right in,
the water's fine.