Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Jul 26 11:22:41 2005

At 01:20 PM 7/26/2005, you wrote:
>So Tina, please let us know how the Geek Squad visit went.

Brian and LUG:

The good news is that he found absolutely nothing wrong.  The bad
news is that he found absolutely nothing wrong.  I had hoped there
would be some glaring mistake I was making that would explain
everything.  The guy was great.  He was here about 3 hours and ran
all kinds of diagnostic tests.  I had managed to reload quite a few
of my programs and had the internet connected when he got here.  He
also hooked up several peripherals to check for problems.  At first
he thought I had a definite problem with the APC PowerChute because
the fan wasn't running, but he ran a check on it and the fan is
supposed to only come on when it is hot. My APC also has a voltage
control, so it's not fluctuating power that's causing problems. He
opened up the case and checked all of the connections and the
controllers built into the motherboard.  No problems there. The
second internal hard drive still causes an automatic "Check Disk"
message every time I turn the computer on, but I knew that was an
issue and plan to reformat it as soon as I transfer some of the
information.  It hasn't been reformated since I installed the new
operating system.  The Geek guy found a few registry errors but said
they shouldn't have caused any problems.   He enabled Hyperthreading
which he said would make the computer run better, but he was at a
loss as to why I've had so many hard drive failures.  He said he
guessed it was possible that Dell had a whole batch of bad Maxtor
drives.  He also said my Dell is the most powerful one they make and
that they are really proud of them and check them out thoroughly
before they leave the factory.

The last time the computer crashed, I was running Archive Creator, a
program that calculates how many DVDs you need to copy a folder and
then prompts you to put a new one in when each one is full.  We
reloaded that program and it's working fine.  I've been working all
morning restoring my programs and checking them out and so far so
good.  I'm going to back it all up tonight and every night.  The only
one of the external drives that is not working is the LaCie 120 GB
one.  It refuses to reformat so I've unplugged it.

I have a 30 day warranty now with Geek Squad so if anything goes
wrong, they'll come back out and fix it.  Dell called me yesterday,
too, (from India) to find out if everything was running o.k.  I told
them to call back today and I'd tell them.  I haven't had any
problems with Dell's customer service except that all of their
solutions involve my losing weeks worth of work!!  This time I lost
200GB of photos that I'll have to rescan and a slide program that I
had almost finished.  That's what kills me.

Thanks for all of the advice and good wishes directed my way.  It's
great to have a group that I can complain to!!

Back to the salt mine!

Tina

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)
Message from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)