Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Jul 22 20:06:46 2005

I was about to go out to the darkroom when I read your post: Now I'm
hurrying out there. This is not the first time I've had problems: we
have huge servers storing the digital files for our radiology
practices. The recent work is stored on Raid, which as far as I can
tell is just linked external hard drives, and backed up on juke box DVD
stores. It takes longer to "retrieve" an image from the DVD, so we keep
the raid big enough to hold 6 months of work. In reality, it takes an
IT department and the backing of Siemens to keep it going, so its not a
part time home job for the like of someone like me.

Tina, you may need to simplify your digital expectations. I know this
sounds twee, but storage of files and their maintenence is a full time
job, and you should be out doing yours, not fiddling with computers.
Ted would say KISS. I have decided to store much of my files on the
internet. This places the work of servers etc on the company rather
than on me. It stores it off site, away from fires at my house, and by
a quirk always means that the files are available anywhere in the
world. My lectures and study files are backed up this way and I'm
leaning toward more of the image files going the same way. It may be
expensive but sometimes a dollar spent is 10 dollars saved.

Cheers