Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier)
Date: Wed Jul 20 22:27:49 2005

Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) wrote:

>I would urge you to re-look at the Mac alternative. The only thing
>Microsoft have definitely brought to computing is the lowering of
>expectations.
>Frank
>
>On 21 Aug, 2005, at 03:51, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> I would consider Macs but it's way too late.  Every peripheral that
>> I have is Windows-based, from scanners to printers to hard drives.
>> I have tons of Windows-based software that I could never replace.

Again, I agree, with Frank.

When I switched over, it was an aggravation, to be sure, and it took a
lot of time.  The initial software expense was, in my case, rather
minimal, since I opted for Microsoft's Office X package, which met most
of my day to day needs.  Vuescan is very inexpensive, and the software
which comes with Nikon and Epson scanners/printers contains drivers for
both Mac and Windoze machines, so no extra expense is required there.
And, in most cases, drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer's
websites.

The amount of freeware or shareware available for Mac OS X machines is
astonshing.  (Check Versiontrackers webstie, for instance.)  The Linux
user base is huge, and growing, and creative.  GIMP is free.  (I use it
occasionally.)

I would suspect that ALL your peripherals will work, seamlessly, with
Mac OS X.  I have yet to plug anything in that doesn't work...cameras,
card readers, printers, scanners, you name it, and in nearly all the
cases, no proprietary install software was required, except for a couple
of printer and scanner drivers.

Tina, I can only say that once you do it, you will wonder why you waited
so long.

As for your present problem, since none of us are there to watch it when
it happens, and since it appears to be accompanied by the blue screen of
death, with nothing more to watch, I doubt there's much we can offer.

However, several of my parishioners are muckety-mucks in the IT
business, and I'll get in touch with them and see if they have any
contacts in your area who could be of help.  I'll let you know offlist.

Peace,

Ken
--
The Rev. Kenneth Frazier