Subject: [Leica] Leica CM meter question
From: barnikos at panafonet.gr (Nikos Bartsotas)
Date: Thu Jul 14 11:15:33 2005

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask for your help in a little "problem" I have:
Recently I added a CM to my equipment, and generally it works fine. The only
thing I cannot understand is this:

Having chosen either "P" or 2.4 as aperture, I cannot have shutter speeds
slower than 1". When the scene is dark, the exposure meter gives me speeds
until 1", and then only "888" (which stand for very slow speeds, greater
than 30sec).

First, I would like to make clear that by "dark scenes" I don't mean the
wall of my house in darkness, which might trick the exposure meter, because
of the lack of contrast. I mean photographing city lights from distance at
night. In this setting for example, my SLR's meter gives me 2.8 aperture and
2'' shutter speed at 200 ISO. When I point the CM at the same scene, using
the same film speed, and press the shutter button half down, I get 2.4
aperture and 888 for time, which should be for shutter speeds greater than
30sec, right? I don't get the expexted 1'' or something around it.

And, generally, late in the afternoon or early in the night, either I get
2.4 with 1/2 shutter speed, or if i try to meter a sliiiightly darker scene,
I get 2.4 with 888 (instead of the logic 2.4 with 1'', or 2.4 with 2'' you
would expect).

I'm just missing pairs between 2.4-1/2 and 2.4/888.

Is this logical to happen?
Please give me your opinion.

Thanks on advance,
Nikos