Subject: [Leica] [OT] Now that the Olympus C-8080 has been discontinued...
From: woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell)
Date: Wed Jul 13 05:19:50 2005

Don,
  Agree on the value of a discontinued model, gets that 'odor of death' and
everyone wants the latest and greatest.
  One of the big superbox computer stores around here keeps the old stuff on
the shelf and does not put out the new models until stock is about depleted.
Since a lot of customers are not as educated as they think they are and they
are assuming they are getting a deal since it's a big box store, the stuff
sells, especially when they put it in their sale flyer - even if it's not at
a sale price... Amazes me, but that is retail.
  I'm not so sure about the new-old-stock comment though.  The smaller shops
still get stuck with stuff and in fact a local store has a few pieces dating
back a few models. Course, they also have a lot of NOS Leica gear too.
Nothing terribly collectable, that always sells. I'm sure it will continue
to happen but like you were thinking, not quite like it used to be.
Bill