Subject: [Leica] More comments: how do you use your images
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Jul 11 04:47:44 2005

Sorry, Alastair, I probably read your continuation, asking for further
discussion, before I read your comments.

I started in the darkroom when I was 13 at an army hobby-shop on Camp
Drake, Japan. One of my father's friends took me along because he
thought I'd be interested and I immediately became hooked. All through
my teenage years I'd go in to the darkroom on Saturdays at around 8am
and work until around 1 pm, when my friends started waking up after a
Friday night.

Taking pictures has just been a self-evident facet of my life since
then. When I returned to the states I studied journalism, specializing
in photojournalism, at Southern Illinois University. I studied under
Bill Ward. He taught some good people (not implying I'm one of them).
Sean Callahan was one of them. Sean got on at Life about a year before
they put it down (bummer)..

I take pictures almost constantly. If there are no people around, I
take pictures of things. I prefer people.

There is no rational reason for why I take pictures. I just do it.
It's something of an obsession.

I got real tired of spending hours in the darkroom. It simply takes
too long to get anything done (for me). So I've gone over to digital
printing and I've only glanced back about once (without doing anything
about it). The only think I miss from the darkroom are contact prints.
So I pay my kids to do that.

I print with carbon pigment inks (A4 approx. 8x10) or with a RIP
system for larger prints. I print a lot. I leave them all around the
house and spread them to my subjects.

I think I want to show what it's like to be a human, both from my
perspective and from others'.

I shoot with many cameras: digital, medium format, 35mm. I find myself
becoming more and more of a minimalist. Minimalist in most aspects
except production. I like my own photographs. I could consider
wallpapering a room with them. They're personal for me. I've travelled
a lot, I've lived a lot of places, there is nowhere I can call home,
lookup some old buddies and shoot the shit. My "home" in Tokyo is
beyond recognition now and no one stayed. My pictures are my little
reminders.

Daniel