Subject: [Leica] OT: Technical Question on Backup External Hard Drives
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Jul 6 15:41:13 2005

Retrospect writes files in a proprietary format for incremental
backup, and in that mode does not delete previously archived files.
It can also make mirror image backups that will delete files in the
backup that aren't in the original any more.

With iPhoto, you can make a photo library on an external drive your
main library.

1. Quit iPhoto
2. copy your iPhoto Library folder to your external drive
3. rename your original iPhoto Library folder 'old iPhoto Library'
4. when you start iPhoto again, it will complain that it can't find
your library, and will prompt you to find it. Direct it to the
library on your external drive.

also,
Look under 'switching between photo libraries' in the help in iPhoto.

The problem with iPhoto is that it makes duplicates of stuff at the
drop of a hat (or byte) and leaves little thumbnails and other bits
of files all over the hard drive. Fairly inefficient in that regard,
and that is also part of what makes it sluggish with larger numbers
of images. Better to use something like iView MediaPro or Extensis
Portfolio. I used to use Portfolio, but switched to iView a number of
versions ago, and prefer it. It will allow you to keep a catalog on
your main drive, and let you know what external drive it needs to
access the full files so you can switch it on if it isn't on-line. I
have some 250Gb drives on-line for my images and primary backups, and
occasionally attach additional drives for off-line backup purposes.
iView and probably Portfolio as well will allow you to have 128K
files per catalog.

On the Mac, at present I use DejaVu for backup purposes (mirror image
only). It seems to be a lot less finicky than Retrospect at present.
Retrospect has lots of options and also an incredible number of
dialog boxes and forgets it's schedule at times and its scripts seem
to get corrupted. I used it for years, but gave up on it about 3
years ago. DejaVu lets you continue to work while it's backing up,
while Retrospect and some other programs whine and complain a lot if
you try this. It's also inexpensive.