Subject: [Leica] RE: Alaska Trip
From: robinson at sfsu.edu (Gib Robinson)
Date: Sat Jul 2 17:31:00 2005

My wife and I camped along the Alcan in the mid '90's. Camping in BC is
superb, partly because of the jaw-dropping quality of the landscape, partly
because of the regional parks which can be gorgeous and comfortably
spacious. I remember going by one large lake. It took us about two hours to
drive by. It was Sunday and we never saw any boats!! In California I swear
you can find a speed boat in backyard ponds.

I have lots of photos from our BC trip but only a few scanned. Here are a
couple. The second is from outside the coastal towns of Hyder Alaska and
Stewart BC. The main evening activity when were there was to jump into your
truck and drive up the Salmon River about fifteen minutes out of town toward
the glacier so you could watch the bears fish. The black bears came first.
At some point they would melt away to be replaced by their big cousins.
Quite a sight.

Of course after a round trip on the Alcan we had to have our windshield
replaced. It was pitted from the rocks thrown up by passing trucks.

PHOTOS:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=508277

The detail of the rock is from near the Alsek river, one of many places
where you can find lovely mixes of fine glacial silt and delicate plants.
Always lots of wild life in the air and on the ground. Camping in northern
BC/Yukon Territories can be a bit trickly because the bears rule and they
are big. We think pepper spray works but we're glad we didn't have to find
out.

--Gib

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] RE: Alaska Trip)