Subject: [Leica] Now MF, was where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway)
Date: Sat Jul 2 14:51:47 2005

Mark:

You're a little bit mixed up. :-)

I am neither as smart as Frank nor as versatile and professional a
photographer as you.

Anyway, I use the 45 degree prism exclusively with the 6008 cameras. I
find that for me, it's easier to compose and focus with it than with the
WLF.  Occasionally, and especially with the 90mm Macro, I use the
Schneider loupe with the included Rollei base instead of the prism. The
loupe is the only piece of 6000 gear that I've bought new and it was
expen$ive.

The 6000 series 90 degree prism is very awkward in use.  But I do use
the old TLR prism, (reminds me of a 53 Chevy) on my Rolleicord Vb to
which I have fitted an 80 to 50mm auxiliary lens.  I use it with the 24
frame convertor to make pseudo panoramas.
With the auxiliary lens:
http://209.197.89.228/CordVBstuff/with
Without:
http://209.197.89.228/CordVBstuff/without

The "order" you wish to place won't cost $50K.  Digital has forced the
used 6000 series prices down... at least for used gear in excellent
condition.

Jim

Mark Rabiner wrote:

 > On 7/1/05 9:59 PM, "FRANK DERNIE" <frank.dernie@btinternet.com> typed:
 >

 >> Hi Mark,
 >> I ahve used a 6008i for quite a few years without
 >> problem. It is the "best" camera I own. I also have a
 >

 > It's great to hear this Frank and Jim.
 > Both you guys up there on my list for voices I respect the most on
the LUG
 > or anywhere.
 > I of course really had heard lots and lots of bad stuff about the series,
 > the 600x.
 > Much of it from a guy who used to be in the loop - in the whole
Rollei thing
> [...]
 > I'm handled them at the counter a thing I posted on the lug a long
time ago.
 > remember: "make it go!"?
 > (could not figure how to switch it on and either could the CAMERA WORLD
 > guys)
 > But when we did it was worth it.
 > You you fire the shutter its impression in its own league kind of way.
 > It's only 8 times faster than my Hassy ELM.
 >
 > I'm a folding finder kind of guy. Belong to the "Folding finder"
flying fan
 > club.
 > I've got all the prisms for the Hassy system. A 90 for my Rolleiflex
2.8 f
 > even. Never use them. They look great on the shelf though. Instill
 > confidence. My 45 degree one took me a year to save up for and I was
 > convinced it would rock my world when I'd finally get it.
 > Just to heavy for this guy among one.
 > I find a good folding finder to be the most awesome tool in photographic
 > viewing.
 > And the Rollei ff's are far superior to the Hassies in not just a few
ways.
 > A main one being "build" come to think of it.
 >
 > Some day when I die and go to heaven I'll have the use of a Rollei 6000
 > setup. Having a meter in a camera with a quick motor drive like that
would
 > never kill me.
 > I mean Gee just look at these jaw dropping cameras!
 > http://www.sl66.com/slx/models.htm
 >
 > May I place an order?
 >
 > Give me one
 > 40mm Schneider Super-Angulon PQ f/3.5 HFT (since 1992)
 > 50mm Schneider Super-Angulon PQS f/2.8 HFT (since 1992)
 > 55mm PCS Schneider Super-Angulon PQ f/4.5 HFT
 >
 > (lens exists since 1982 w/o PQ) " Special wide-angle lens with extra
large
 > image circle of 104mm and sophisticated lens mount enabling vertical/
 > horizontal shift for control of image perspective as well as up and down
 > tilt of optical axis (Scheimpflug). Floating elements automatically
provide
 > consistently high image quality over the entire focusing range down
to 0,5
 > m. Through electronic transmission, all automatic functions are retained.
 > For still life photography involving perspective accuracy and sharpness
 > criteria which is otherwise the domain of large-format photography."
 > http://www.sl66.com/slx/PQ_lenses_wide.htm
 >

 > 90mm Schneider Apo-Symmar PQS f/4 HFT #63348
 >
 >  Universal macro lens with Apochromatic correction. Optimized for the
 > close-up range. The long helical mount provides a continuous focusing
range
 > from infinity to 1:2 without additional accessories. Ideal for repro work
 > due its short focusing travel. Lens hood not necessary due to recessed
 > position of front lens element.
 >
 > 150mm Schneider Apo-Symmar PQ f/4.6 Makro HFT / 1990-today
 > A compact bellows lens. Much more compact than the 135 Zeiss for the
Hassy.