Subject: [Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Jun 30 17:08:46 2005

Yes, I shoot with Nikon stuff, and really don't give a rat's *ss about
Canon
gear. They make fine cameras, I'm sure, and have nice adverts with tennis
players, and I read that they give really exceptional deals to
newspapers and
agencies.

But I don't care about shooting sports with long lenses (don't care much
for sports at all), don't give two hoots about extreme autofocus prowess,
own no Leica R lenses, or whatever.  I have no interest in a full frame
24x36mm sensor camera at current prices.

A few Nikon bodies (FM3a and D70), one zoom (12-24 DX), and some
primes (24,35,45,50,85,105,135) more than do the trick for my non-Leica,
SLR small format desires. Hell, I don't even own yet a few of the nicer
primes in Nikon's arsenal yet (the 28 and 85 f1.4 and 105 f2 AF lenses).
It's certainly already more than I'm willing to cart around with me taking
pictures.

I'd like a really big, bright VF on my DSLR, but not at current prices.
I'll
wait until I can get such a "feature" at a < $2K price point.  And when I
stop to think about it, my photos won't really suffer one bit in the
meantime
(excepting critical manual focus with wider lenses, maybe).

The 20D comes out with 2 megapixels more than 6, and the sky is falling.
What a joke.  It reminds me of my own beloved industry, the high tech
computer/software industry. Keep the specs moving up every 6 months
and keep the customers on the upgrade or vendor-switch treadmill.  Put
money in my pocket over the years, but the amount of customer dollars
spent far exceeded whatever incremental value was offered with each
upgrade cycle.

Hey, if it's for fun, more power to ya. I have a friend who chases cell
phone technology and upgrades every 6 months or so. By now he can
take pics, listen to tunes, manage his calendar, web surf and compute
giant prime numbers on his phone. I don't get it, but it's just for fun.

Anyway, back to photography, I find there are so many factors that
make/break a photo more than the capture device. Film processing,
scanning technique, "digital darkroom" dodge/burn and sharpening
work, tripod use or handheld steadiness, printing, mood - and light!

The real "competitor" to my Nikon DSLR is likely to be a 6x7 MF
system I've been researching and shopping around for. I want a big
scan of a big B&W negative. That's what I really want for Xmas.

And until then, my 2 Leica M6TTL's and a few lenses get a good
90% of my shooting time anyway. Just fits in a small bag so nicely.

Scott

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re:where oh where is the DMR now Canon)