Subject: [Leica] Re: Zeiss Sonnar Versions
From: bruent at shaw.ca (B Entus)
Date: Sun Jun 26 13:25:49 2005

Thanks for the answers so far.  I get the LUG in digest so there is a
bit of latency in my reply.

I am trying to get one- either a coated version in chrome on brass, or
the early (1930's) uncoated version (apparently a different design
which minimized the number of air-glass surfaces as an important
parameter) in Contax mount. For internet searches the simple visual
discriminators are helpful.

 From replies and other sources, there seem to be at least 2 variants of
the uncoated design (black for the 1st Contax, chrome for the Contax
II/III, but same optics(?), minimum f stop 11), and at least 3 coated
(postwar East German in aluminum with Jena and T designation minimum
stop 22;  post war West German in chrome with Opton and T designation
minimum stop 16; later West German designated just CarlZeiss minimum
stop ??). One source indicates that focal length marked in mm indicates
post war and in cm indicates earlier versions. There may also be
Ukraine copies with counterfeit Zeiss engravings.

Not certain how many different optical designs there are, or if there
are coated version versions from before the end of the war (with or
without the T designation).

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (feli) ([Leica] Re: Zeiss Sonnar Versions)
Reply from rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant) ([Leica] Re: Zeiss Sonnar Versions)