Subject: [Leica] New Puts article
From: jbilin at axionet.com (Jacques Bilinski)
Date: Sat Jun 25 22:23:44 2005

hlritter@mindspring.com wrote:

>Two prints at the same scale, one from a small sensor and one from a large
>one, will have identical depth of field if shot at the same f-ratio.

I don't believe this is true.  As Steve pointed out the 'circle of
confusion comes into play'. In fact 2 prints from different size sensors
will have identical depth of field if shot at the same absolute
aperature (ie measured in millimetres), not the same f-ratio.
Photographers who have shot portraits with large format cameras and
subminiatures may know empirically that the large format camera will
show a shallower depth of field at the same f-ratio. Has anyone seen any
prints from a subminiature with shallow depth of field?

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] New Puts article)