Subject: [Leica] Impressions from the Leica Day
From: rolfe.tessem at gmail.com (Rolfe Tessem)
Date: Fri Jun 24 18:50:20 2005

On 6/24/05, Didier Ludwig <rangefinder@screengang.com> wrote:
> As there is a Leica presentation day today at Foto Ganz in Zurich, the
> largest Leica dealer in Switzerland, I left my studio early this morning
> (though there would be a lot of work waiting on me) and stepped toward the
> Rennweg near the famous Bahnhofstrasse.
>
> So I was the first in the shop at 9 a.m. and had the opportunity to have a
> look at all the Leica products before the rush begins; and could talk with
> the dealers as well as a Leica Switzerland repairman, who checked my M6 for
> free (everything OK, by the way).

SNIP

> M6 rangefinder update:
> I compared the finder of my M6 with a new MP, and have hold both cameras
> toward a strong light source. While the rf patch of my M6 was totally
> flared, I could adjust the rangefinder in the MP in any angle without
> problems. The difference was really evident. I had used the SHADE from
> leicagoodies.com for a while, but it always dropped off and is of course
> not comparable to the MP viewfinder. As the patch flare issue has troubled
> me quite often, especially in low light situations in theatres or concert
> halls, I have decided to upgrade my M6's finder. The price of CHF 398
> ($310) is ok for me and the Leica repair guy promised to do it within 10
> days.
>
> Black dot:
> I asked him if he could put a black Leica dot after the rf upgrade. He said
> they don't have any, but he gave me a red replacement dot to paint black
> myself; and said he would't mount any dot so that I can easily put on my
> painted one.

DAG has black dots available and will do the finder upgrade for
substantially less than $310. Whether the shipping both ways will make
up the difference I don't know, but I would look into it. I forget
what he charged me to upgrade an M6 finder, but I'm pretty sure it was
less than $200.

--
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe.tessem@gmail.com