Subject: [Leica] was: 20d/d70/rd1 now: black or chrome
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jun 23 21:07:18 2005

On 6/23/05 6:45 AM, "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner@nycap.rr.com> typed:

> Black anodizing goes on alloy base metal; chrome goes on brass base metal
> that is heavier and more expensive, since alloy is cast and brass must be
> drawn. Perhaps the reason Leica has discontinued the chrome lenses.
>
> My most used lenses are the DR/Rigid 50/2 Summicron and the 35/2,8
> Summaron.
> Both are chrome of course, one goes on a black anodized M6 (for b+w), the
> other on a silver M4 (for Kodachrome).

The  DR/Rigid 50/2 Summicron and the 35/2,8 Summaron are gorgeous chrome
lenses.
They don't look much like what Leica is calling "chrome" in recent years.
They really are chrome.
Modern Leica "chrome" we know is chrome paint.
Like it's Titanium option. Its paint.
They've got a better name for it than paint. Better than "finish" even I
think I forgot what they call it. The put it on in thin layers. Who cares?

When lesser companies like Nikon and Olympus comes out with a T for Titanium
body or lens that piece of gear is lighter in weight as a result.
As a result of Titanium being a lighter in weight metal than what's
typically used. Part of what justifies the cost.
However a Leica Titanium lens or body is heavier because we are not talking
about Titanium pieces of metal the thing is instead made out of but Titanium
"paint" put on metal which makes it heavier. And what that metal paint it's
being put on is brass which is heavier then the more typical aluminum or
zinc.

This "paint policy" has been a thing which has bothered me for years and
I've repeatedly complained of on the LUG. To me it's "stuck out" of the
whole Leica manufacturing quality mind set. And to me has been an
embarrassment I'll go as far as to say.

Now however Leica has found a way to make a top plate out of one metal.
It's can be a one piece part now.
The metal they've used so far is Titanium but other metals are likely to
follow as you can make this top plate out of any number of desired and
functional metals.
I've seen one.
It's Titanium .
Not a Titanium finish of any kind.
Not much as a gloss overcoat.
But pure gorgeous naked Titanium through and through strait out to the
surface.
A metal whose looks I happen to be a fan of. As many are.

I think whoever was running Leica last week put this top plate next to a
Titanium painted lens and decided the paint had to go. It was a no brainer.
And same with the chrome paint.
Maybe it as his kid who told him....
"Daddy that looks like Mickey in second grade got his hands on it?"

This paint policy has always been waaay beneath modern Leica if you ask me.
A thing which I'd think would have Ernst and Ernst II turning in their
graves.
Its about time it was made to disappear.

The fumes were no good for the ozone layer.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/