Subject: [Leica] Re: 20d/d70/rd1
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Thu Jun 23 15:07:52 2005

>If Leica could produce lenses with some way of emulating the aperture for
>Canon
>or Nikon this would be good enough for me.
>Douglas

I think Leica could easily do what Sigma/Cosina/Tamron are doing-by
licensing or reverse engineering-  if they abandon the philosophy of
excellence. In few words if they capitalize the commercial value of the
brand manufacturing a set of lenses for Canon/Nikon/etc of good quality
but not of the "best" quality as autofocus impede the perfection of a
lens. I've shot with a Contax N and a AF zoom from Carl Zeiss -this is
the kind of operation that we are thinking about from Leica- and if
the   kit was very good it wasn't at all excellent. But perhaps is too
strong to such a company abandoning excellence in order getting profits.
The habitual customer of Leica does not wish changes, nor any kind of
automation but he mainly will be for ever attached to rangefinder,
primes and black and white film while the profitable market goes elsewhere.

Felix
"El que calla, otorga..."

Replies: Reply from dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter) ([Leica] Re: 20d/d70/rd1)