Subject: [Leica] Leica R to Canon EOS adapter
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Jun 19 00:54:49 2005

Richard,
I use the Novoflex adapter,mainly because I got it over the counter at the
Photokina with 20% off the recommended price.
There have already been discussions on the list  about
the relative quality of Cameraquest, Fotodiox and Novoflex adapters, and the
price you pay for them.
I think a reasonable summary would be, they are all good and work perfectly.
Almost all Cameraquest adapter users who have commented here and on other
lists
  have the approximately the same opinion as Nathan concerning the quality.

The Novoflex adapter is the Rolls-Royce of the bunch,machined from bronze to
very high standard and has a steel retaining spring mechanism to keep it on
the
lens, which is,in turn, reflected in the price - wypfiwyg.
It also has a very fiddly release button which plays havoc with your
fingernails
until it gets "worked-in".

There have been some problems reported , I believe with the Fotodiox
adapter,
where careful use of brute force has been necessary to bend some part of it
make a tighter fit on the lens.

cheers
Douglas

BTW for Contax SLR lens owners there are also at least 3 adapters that I
know of
on the market. This very much worth considering for Zeiss 50 mm "standard
lenses".The Zeiss 50/1,4, and particularly the 50/1,7, can be found at very
reasonable prices second hand, both lenses are a cheap way of getting into
fast
lenses for Canon EOS mount cameras, and , as far as I can tell from
comparing
them with Leica-R lenses, the quality is quite fantastic
The three are : Bob Shell in the US, Z?rkendorfer in Germany, and a German
photo
store, Foto Huppert. I can't comment on Bob's adapter as I've neither seen
nor
used one, the Z?rk adapter is expensive,very well made, but impractical,
removing it from a lens requires a small tool to unscrew a retaining screw,
the
Huppert adapter, which I use is a fine piece of precision engineering milled
from phosphor bronze blanks,very easy to use and change and a perfect fit.
Rumour has it that it was actually made by Zeiss , or at least with Zeiss
machines and quality control.
For M42 (Pentax screw) lenses, and there are some classy bits of glass at
very
reasonable prices on the s/h market,I use an adapter from Hama, a very solid
piece of work too.