Subject: [Leica] Mold on unprocessed film....!
From: garethjolly at bigpond.com (Gareth Jolly)
Date: Sat Jun 18 18:05:56 2005

I've been keeping my unprocessed film in the house hold fridge...  It now
looks like some of that film has gone moldy....  There's a green streaky
discolouration on some of the film after it's processed.  It has coincided
with switching from Ilford ridfix (diluted 1-4) (which seems to have been
discontinued) to the Tetanel rid fix product (diluted 1-19) - don't know if
that could have anything to do with it (while it's not on all the films
being processed, not sure if the Ilford ridfix might have help removed minor
mould???).

There are couple of lessons.  FIrst, make sure there's nothing moldy in the
fridge (easier said than done sometimes).  Second, make sure the film is in
both an airtight container and the original film canister (I had the film
outside their canisters in a box with a hinge lid that evidently wasn't
airtight).  Think I'll also get a bar fridge just for film...

But in the meantime, I have to work out what to do with my film...  Anyone
have any thoughts?  I've thought about freezing then thawing the film before
processing then doing a thorough pre-wash.  I've also thought about
attacking the film with film cleaner (after processing, of course).  But I'm
worried that the processing might help make the mold damage permanent?

This article seems to suggest - with processed slides - that freezing and
thawing, then cleaning with a swab is a good way of removing mold

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an26/an26-5/an26-512.html

Can anyone help?

Regards
Gareth Jolly