Subject: [Leica] Re: Faces of Guizhou
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Thu Jun 16 16:09:07 2005

Bob,
It's pretty simple - just fill flash.  I use a little Vivitar 2800 thyristor
flash - the best flash I've found for the M camera.  The flash output is
balanced at around -2 stops from the ambient exposure.  All I do is:

1) Set the ISO on the flash to two stops faster than the film I'm using.
So, for ISO 100 film, I set the scale to 400
2) Select one of the "auto" apertures using the switch on the front of the
flash.
3) Set the lens to that aperture, and adjust shutter speed for a proper
ambient exposure.  As long as it's 1/50th or below, go shoot.

I think the shot you referenced was done at around 1/15th at f5.6 with the
Summicron 28 ASPH, set for hyperfocal distance.

--Jim