Subject: [Leica] Re: Darkroom Focusing
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu Jun 16 10:46:41 2005

This is, in part, a retraction of my previous post. It is also a
correction of an error. In describing the central portion of the
lens, I named the wrong F stop.

First, I want to say that my advanced physics degree is vintage 1951
and that I gave up physics for computer biz in 1958. So, regarding
geometric optics, it took a while before old memories filtered back
into consciousness.

So, to simplify the complicated way I stated things earlier, trying
to be accurate: a focus shift implies that the outer portions of a
lens have a slightly different focal length than the central portion.
OK, the correction for spherical aberration is supposed to prevent
this. But, it doesn't. In a simple, one-element lens, the focal
length changes monotonically as one goes from the center to the
periphery. Now, aberration corrections are always a compromise. If
there were no spherical aberration, a plot of focal length vs.
distance from the lens center would be a horizontal straight line.
The best correction that can be made is a curve that wiggles on both
sides of this line. So, the average focal length of the central
portion may differ from that of an outer portion.

Now, why do we stop down when enlarging? The main reason is to
minimize the effect of the various aberrations. A secondary reason is
to lengthen the exposure for a) accuracy and b) to facilitate
manipulation such as dodging and burning in. Now, having expounded on
the nature of the spherical aberration correction, I can state a
theorem: the loss in sharpness caused by focusing at maximum aperture
and then stopping down will be less than the loss caused by making
the enlargement at full aperture.
--
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org