Subject: [Leica] Lenses and grain
From: creativevisions at verizon.net (Michael J Herring)
Date: Mon Jun 13 18:46:15 2005

Mark,

I ran a photo lab in the US Army during the Vietnam War and I find this to
be the opposite of my experience. We would use 4 element Rodenstock
enlarging lenses on some of our Omega  D2 enlargers, and 6 element Rodagon
lenses on others. The prints made with the Rodagon lenses would exhibit
higher resolution and contrast and "MORE" visible grain. Some of my
photogs
used Nikons and some used Leica M4s. The Leica lenses would exacerbate
this
effect and I would sometimes have to use tricks such as black nylon
stockings or diffusion filters under the lens for a percentage of the
exposure in order to reduce this effect.
Developers and differences in agitation can also increase the grain
effect.
I would generally compromise and find a workable solution.

And by the way, a couple of the "Old Timers" refused to use the
"new-fangled" 35mm "toy" cameras. They would shoot with a 6x9 Graflex with
Carl Zeiss optics or 4x5 Speed Graphic and therefore, never had to worry
about grain. (They also missed many shots).

Mike