Subject: [Leica] digital prints on real photo paper (was: famous female Leica photographers)
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Jun 11 16:49:39 2005

Mark:

>"?Archival Pictopia Prints are true photographic prints that are the result
>of the very finest tradition and craft of fine-art photography combined with
>state of the art imaging technologies. The prints are made in color and
>black and white on Fuji Crystal Archive? paper using traditional silver
>halide chemistry.

<snip>

>So these are not inkjets, not darkroom RC's but black and white negs printed
>using a color process involving digital stuff but ending up on darkroom
>paper. Color darkroom paper.

I believe that the only place negatives come into play is you can use
negatives as a source for the digital image.  I use a similar process for
making prints.  Costs just slightly more per image than if I bought a
high-end inkjet, but I don't have the upfront cost, and I have more
flexibility in terms of output size.  I'm really happy with my lab:

http://www.whcc.com/

Located in St. Paul, MN.

As good as a wet print?  Nope.  Not the same thing at all.  Nothing beats a
toned, wet print on fiber.  Used to be better than inkjets, but I couldn't
tell the difference between one of these prints and one from B.D.'s
newfangled printer when we swapped prints a few months ago.

Here's info on the printers WHCC uses:

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/acrobat/en/professional/products/printers/rp30/rp30SS.pdf

http://www.durst.it/uk/mitte_produkte_neu.asp?pid=10&hid=2&sid=1&Pr=Theta%2050/51

Unlike black and whites printed using color inks on an inkjet, these are
truly neutral prints under all the light sources I've used to view them.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: famous female Leica photographers)