Subject: [Leica] OT: Koran Desecrations at Gitmo
From: ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner)
Date: Wed Jun 8 18:36:26 2005

BD and Marc--
I missed BD's original message, but judging by the quotation in Marc's
message and by Marc's comments, I think I agree with both of you. I'd
just like to add what my mother always told me: don't let the kids who
tease you see that you care; that's what they want.

When it comes right down to it, the Koran and the Bible are paper and
ink; the flag is red, white, and blue cloth. They are symbols of Islam
and Christianity and the ideals of the United States, and it is highly
offensive to all decent people to treat them with disrespect, but they
are not the beliefs they represent. Those beliefs are not harmed or
lessened by offensive treatment of the books that promulgate them or
the flag that represents them. They are far stronger than that.

I bet that if, when one of these "desecrations" occurs, everyone said,
"Duh, what a jerk!" and got on with more important things, the
desecrators would get bored and give up.

--Eric (and my M3 agrees with me)

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] OT: Koran Desecrations at Gitmo)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] OT: Koran Desecrations at Gitmo)
Message from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] OT: Koran Desecrations at Gitmo)