Subject: [Leica] Re: Walmart police
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Jun 8 17:29:19 2005

Sam Walton had a better idea, and his company employs common policies and
common methods to provide a common service for the customers.  I have never
encountered anyone other than alert and helpful sales staff;  I have never
found anyone at WalMart to be offensive or short-minded on any issue.

Sure, I have issues with their policies:  they stock spin-casting stuff and
not fly-fishing gear.  They stock almost no Coleman gas-lanern or gas-stove
gear.  But they do have the best price in town on  the.30-'06 rounds I need
for my Argentine Mauser and the 20W-50 Castrol GTX my Audi uses or dog food
and ... the list goes on.  And the Super Walmart at Valleyview is the only
locale in Roanoke, Virginia, which stocks frogs legs  --  hell, when Food
Lion is cutting their spread of meat and fish offerings, WalMart is
expanding theirs, and the benificiary is the customer.  (However, they
still do not stock smoked herring, but that is a tale for a different day:
I cannot even get my local fish store to round me up some.)

I have yet to see a town damaged by the addition of a WalMart;  many of my
clients work at one of our local stores and they are all delighted to get a
real job with a real pay-check and most of them get benefits which the
Quickie-Mart at which they previously worked never provided.

Yes, WalMart is a bastard to their own suppliers, as they demand annual
price decreases but, in the end, this keeps the rate of inflation down and
those suppliers who do not want to play with WalMart can simply refuse to
do business with them.  Yes, they do sell a lot of imported items made from
what is essentially slave-labor factories (WalMart is the seventh-largest
customer of Red China, and that puts it ahead of a lot of the rest of the
world).  So, when I go to WalMart, I pick and choose and generally only buy
items of US origin -- and WalMart, unlike, say, Orvis, generally identifies
the production point clearly.

I rarely go to WalMart and that is mainly due to the flood of folks
blocking access and egress.  My wife is a committed WalMart shopper,
however, and I often drop her at the door, find a parking spot on the far
side of the lot, and read a book and listen to NPR.  When she is finished,
she will call me on her cell phone, and I will pick her up, after allowing
her to stock her purchases in the trunk of the car.

The world has beaten a door to the fellow who invented the better
mouse-trap, and his name was Sam Walton.  (For that matter, Sam's Club now
stocks Zeiss Lens-Cleaning cloths, so those who insist on a cachet for
authenticity can go there for that particular fix.)

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505