Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Wed Jun 8 14:25:34 2005

Lawrence:

>Leica's proposed prices are not too far out of line. At the end of 1954,
>I bought a new Leica M3 with an M mount Elmar lens for under $300. At an
>annualized price increase of 6% a year, corresponding roughly to the
>average inflation rate, the same camera would cost about $5000 today.

Nobody is going to sell many film bodies for 5 grand apiece, regardless of
how it relates to the rate of inflation.  Leica's competitors are other
camera manufacturers...not a graph on a page in the Wall Street Journal.

I'd say $3k for a professional film body is out of line when everybody else
is charging $2k.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/