Subject: [Leica] The End of The "M"
From: mccluney at sbcglobal.net (Gene E. McCluney)
Date: Wed Jun 8 10:07:43 2005

>Leonard J Kapner offered:
>Subject: [Leica] The End of The "M"
>
>>Just to get our juices flowing this morning, here's a message that
>>appeared In the photo.net Leica discussion group this morning from
>>Kipling Phillips:
>>
>>I just talked to the manager of a large camera distributor here in
>>Germany and he told me that he's received information that the "M"
>>camera line is to be discontinued.I can't give any names.<<<

Leica has stated that a Digital "M" will require a vertical metal
focal plane shutter, similar to what is already in the R8, and R9.

This will require a re-engineering of the RFDR body.  It is a logical
assumption that Leica would still produce a film version of this
camera, but it would not be the traditional "M" with cloth focal
plane shutter.

I think in the future we will still have a Leica film camera to use
"M" mount lenses, but it will not be the traditional "M" we all know,
rather it will be a "film" version of the Digital "M".

This is what Nikon has done with the F6 and its pro level digital slr
bodies.  Nikon also has limited manufacturing capacity for its
pro-level bodies.

It is only logical to rationalize production costs, and keep the
company overhead low, and still produce a reasonable number of
cameras.

The traditional "M" market would still be served with the al-a-carte
system, which could use up existing inventory of parts.

Gene McCluney

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] The End of The "M")
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] The End of The "M")