Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Voigtländer 40/1.4 (was Leica prices)
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Wed Jun 8 05:33:15 2005

40mm is a nice focal length.  One of the reasons that I am so attached
to the compact Japanese leaf shutter rangefinders of the 70s is that
they have lenses in the 40mm range, often with reasonably fast optics
in the f1.7 to f2 range.  Generally the lenses are surprisingly good
too.  If you have to go for just one lens, 40mm seems so useful as a
focal length.  I'm surprised that it hasn't been a more popular focal
length in interchangable rangefinder cameras.  I actually had a 4cm
f2.8 Olympus Zuiko lens in LTM in case with finder that was a pleasant
enough lens, but I sold it in a moment of madness as I wanted more
modern optics for the CLE.  I haven't seemed to have found a good 40mm
Summicron or Rokkor to replace it yet (by good, I mean one in good
shape at a good price) and since the 40mm Nokton goes for about the
same price as a really clean f2 lens of the same focal length, I
thought that it might be a possibility.  Not that I'm lacking for 40mm
on fixed lens cameras like the Konica or Rollei.  And the performance
of the lenses on those would be tough to beat.

Mark