Subject: [Leica] Car Prices
From: sdp35 at cwazy.co.uk (Craig Zeni)
Date: Sun Jun 5 06:12:00 2005

On Jun 5, 2005, at 2:35 AM, Grduprey@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/4/2005 10:01:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
> rmcclure2@woh.rr.com writes:
> In comparison, many
> Merc automatics default to a second gear starting mode unless really
> thrashed and have a notchy shift gate.
>

> I once tried a start in 1st in my old 240 Mrec, the gear was so low
> that it
> could easily be used to pull tree stumps, I think 5 mph was its top
> speed in
> 1st.  For all practical purposes it worked 1000% better starting in
> 2nd.

My old 1983 240D was about the same - 15 mph in first was about
it...but that made it unbeatable from 0-15 in a stoplight contest.

Above 15mph, one didn't accelerate so much as gather momentum...I still
drive diesels, but a 2004 VW Passat that is light years ahead of the
old technology...quick starting, good acceleration, no clouds of soot,
and enough torque to pull the white off of rice.

CZ
NC