Subject: [Leica] OT: Automatic Transmissions Are Deadly Boring
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Jun 4 06:06:47 2005

on 6/3/05 10:38 PM, Marc James Small at msmall@aya.yale.edu wrote:

> I understand that one of the world-class courses in defensive driving is
> taught at Black Point or thereabouts, near to your environs.  Instead of
> getting nasty, why not learn how to drive intelligently?  The alternative
> would be to promise never to curse the highways of the US again with the
> sort of inconsiderate foolishness conducted constantly by
> automatic-transmission drivers.

Marc, had it occurred to you that I've driven manual transmissions and that
for some circumstances I prefer an automatic?  Stop-and-go traffic comes
immediuately to mind.

For example:

5 years driving a 4-speed VW Dasher, including round trips betweeen interior
Alaska and south Florida and several winters in the Chicago area

5 years driving a three-on-the-tree camper van with unsychronized first and
reverse

A few more years driving a 5-speed Dodge Omni

a smattering of VW beetles, Rabbits and microbusses, Datsun B210 and 240Z,
various three-on-the-tree cars and pickups, a 1950's-era 6-speed
40-passenger bus and a 15-speed Kenilworth.

Not to mention no moving violations since 1976.  This is incompetent?

You know Marc not everyone needs excitement in their driving.  I prefer the
driving part of my road trips to be uneventful.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com