Subject: [LEICA] The Joys of an M
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Jun 3 08:25:56 2005

Tina Manley offered:
Subject: Re: [LEICA] The Joys of an M

Tina said:
> Exactly!  Instead of several different cameras with different films and
> ISOs, you can carry one camera with variable ISOs that you can change when
> the light changes. <<<

Hi Tina,
if nothing else this is one of the great features of digital all on one card
without changing film or camera and lugging several levels of film.

 >I took 3,000+ photos on my trip to the Middle East, but
> I would have taken that many with film, too, and I would have had to
> develop them, mount them, edit them, and scan them before I could use them
> in the assignment I was working on.  And I would have had to carry around
> all of those rolls of film through all of the airports and metal detectors
> at the checkpoints in every country!<<<<<

Right there are several advantages of digital beyond the mind set of the
techie stuff. Sure we may have more frames to work our way through, but in
the long run it may give some quite different photos because we tend to "try
things" we'd not with film. Why? Because of carrying extra gear, film and
pushing film and it never ends when comparing.

If people would stop all the damn comparing stuff and shoot both while
learning, they might be surprised that the advantages digital to film far
out weight the whining which one is better than the other. Why?

Well dang they're both tools and each brings a different kind of use and
neither is 100% perfect better than the other! Just use the right tool for
the right job and the whine factor will go down by 100%!

Sure there can be a whine factor about shooting more, but heck the camera
doesn't do it automatically on it's own! It still comes down to the shooter
plinking away at what he or she thinks.... "looks cool" ERGO: "shoot it,
let's see what it looks like later!"  And right there is why so many digital
photogs take more pictures!  Then bitch later! ;-)

And if that's the case, I suggest the whiners think in a similar fashion as
they would while shooting film..... take your time, look harder before you
press the button and you'll save yourself a great deal of "work flow"
effort!

And there's another pain in the ass term! ;-)

"Work flow?" Hell just another one of those "modern day techie terms" to
confuse old timers about how to develop film, wash, dry, cut, contact, edit
and start all over again! Only now with hands in the wet stuff making
prints! Love it even now..... sometimes! ;-)

"Work flow?" hell I just shoot and get on with making prints in merely a new
fashion! ;-) Work flow be damned! ;-)

ted

Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([LEICA] The Joys of an M)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([LEICA] The Joys of an M)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([LEICA] The Joys of an M)